Newcastle & Hunter River Steamship Company Limited

The product of a merger of earlier separate interests, some going as far back as 1852, the “Newcastle company” commenced its intra-state operations in January 1892.

They had two ships at the start of the Second World War:



Gross Tons

In Service

Kindur 1928 1267 1928-1956
Mulunbinda 1937 1262 1937-1963

These were joined by Karuah ( 1940-1961). Records suggest they suffered no war damage. Mulubinda and Karuah served under Royal Australian Navy requisition.