Australian Shipping Board

This organization was formed, as the Board, in March 1941 and was concerned initially with control of overseas ships chartered for the Australian coastal trade, and all ships built by Australian shipyards. Its first ship (“A” Class, later becoming popularly known as “River” Class) was commissioned in mid-1943.

By the end of the Second World War eight River class ships, all of similar design, were in cargo service with the newer ones being allocated to shipping companies for management.



Gross Tons

In Service

River Burdekin
1943 5003
River Clarence
1943 5031
River Fitzroy
1944 4958
River Glenelg
1944 4986
River Loddon
1944 5001
River Mitta
1945 5179
River Murchison
1945 5039
River Murrumbidgee
1945 5032

All supported coastal trading and no losses or damages are known.