RW Miller & Company Limited

 Known as bulk carriers since 1912, and in particular as coal merchants on the New South Wales coast, “Millers” had three ships when the Second World War started:



Gross Tons

In Service

Canopus 1912 1337 1940-1960
William Macarthur 1924 2393 1924-1960
Birchgrove Park 1925 640 1930-1956

Bulk carriers of cargoes were in great national need, however Birchgrove Park was requisitioned in 1941, first commissioned as a minesweeper then to transport supplies and personnel, and was handed back to owners in 1946.